Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for Benevolence

April A to Z Challenge

If there were peace in our world, we would be a society filled with benevolent people. Doing for one another and not expecting anything in return. Our civilization would be a divine one. Instead, our society breeds on selfishness, gluttony, sex, greed, and more depths of deceptive behaviors. I'm not saying all people are selfish, sex filled, or greedy. But, this is what our society is raised to value instead of valuing one another in a positive light instead. 


"As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all [people]..." Galatians 6:10

The Bible is filled with scripture referring to benevolent actions. When I first thought of the word benevolent, I actually thought it did not mean what it actually means. I had to analyze this concept as well - was I raised to believe that benevolence was a bad thing? Instead, benevolence is a holy act that I believe would bring more happiness into our souls and to the souls of others. Now that I know the definition, I plan to implement this into my life more fully.

"Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law." Romans 13:8-10

When my son was alive, while caring for a child with severe handicaps was challenging, I tried my hardest to convey that he was loved. I took care of him in every aspect of his live, with no real payment. While I told him how much I loved him, he couldn't verbalize his love in return. That's o.k., he could express himself in different ways. I now understand that my love for Kaleb was benevolent of this world.


This could also be the verbiage in coordination with the pay it forward actions. Many people do great things, like pay for the person behind them while in line somewhere, or giving something of themselves to the less fortunate. The only thing is that with paying it forward, this is in reference to Kharma, which follows the study, what you put out in the world comes back to you. Eventually, you are in receipt of that payment. Where a benevolent heart never expects anything in return.

My challenge for you this year: to perform one benevolent act a month.
Let's see how the Bible's scripture can change our lives for the better.


1 comment:

  1. If we didn't have cheating in our families, we would be a society filled with reliable and happy people.
    "We Are Family" was written by Sister Sledge and Bernard Edwards, who were also members of the group. It was produced by Edwards and Nile Rodgers, who also played guitar on the song.

    ReplyDelete

Add your comments here. We look forward to reading them!