Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Lifting Kindness

Random Acts of Kindness

When my son was born with special needs, I knew we were in for challenges, having worked within the Special Ed. field.  Once Kaleb was diagnosed with Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy after a traumatic experience, the challenges increased. The outcome of the emergency cesarean that was performed to extract Kaleb, resulted in further complications for my own health. Missing more than when I went into delivery (I am missing crucial abdominal muscles). The challenge now was in my lifting restrictions and the physical allocations of Kaleb's needs. I knew the logical step was to try to find a better adapted vehicle for his transportation.
At the time I had a lovely Chevy Cavalier that I had paid for myself, The only way we would be able to afford a van for Kaleb's needs, meant sacrifice. So, with much trepidation, I sold my car so that we could have a vehicle more accessible for Kaleb. When we looked into purchasing a vehicle (van) already adapted for his needs (including a lift for his wheelchair), the price was outrageous. I would have had to sell 10 cars! So, I did the only thing I could at the time, I wrote letters to organizations, pleading for assistance.
When my prayers were answered, it was more than what I had prayed for - praise God!
A company, Ride-a-way, was donating a lift for our family!!
As long as I live I will not forget their kindness and generosity, for not only did they give us a lift (well worth over $8,000 at the time) they did not charge us for installation! The van and lift are now retired, permanently rusting on my Uncle's auto body's lot. Almost three years ago, the van's engine gave out. Again, I was graciously blessed with help. An Uncle was very kind in reducing the price of an old work van, so that I would have a vehicle that could fit Kaleb's wheelchair in the back. Even now, since then, I have had to sell the van. We now rely on family and friends to help us get around. I dream of someday owning my own car again. But, for now - I will cherish the kindness that was bestowed upon my son and I.

 photo raoc_zps0fb7dd8c.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments here. We look forward to reading them!